1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, medium diced
approximately 8 stems of chard, remove leaves from rib and chop ribs and leaves separately
2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
4 eggs, gently whisked
1 cup half and half
1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere, swiss, and mild cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high.
3. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the chopped chard ribs, season with 2 teaspoons thyme, salt, and pepper, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until softened.
5. Add the chard leaves to the pan and sauté until wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
6. Transfer the mixture to a mesh colander and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.
7. Gently mix together the eggs, cheese, half and half, remaining thyme, nutmeg and a dash of salt and pepper.
8. Fold the onion/chard into the egg/cheese mixture.
9. Spray a pie plate with coconut or olive oil.
10. Pour the mixture into the pie plate.
11. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until the edges turn brown and the center sets (approximately 20-25 minutes).