2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp chili paste
2 Tbsp tamari
2 Tbsp black beans + all water from 12-oz can black beans
1/2 container firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into large cubes
1 Tbsp tamari
1 tsp Korean-style crushed red pepper
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 medium eggplants, cut into large chunks
12 green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 white onion, cut into large chunks
12 padron peppers, stems removed (can substitute 1 bell pepper, cut into large chunks),
12 fresh thai basil leaves (can substitute basil leaves)
1. Before chopping the vegetables, toss the cubed tofu with the tamari and crushed red pepper. Marinate for at least 10 minutes.
2. Chop the eggplant first and lightly salt. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cooking.
3. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
5. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
6. Add tofu and stir-fry for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
7. Add padron peppers to the wok and stir-fry until blistered, for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside with tofu.
8. If wok seems dry, add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil. Add the eggplant, onions, and green beans and stir-fry for approximately 5 minutes.
9. Add the tofu, peppers, sauce, and basil leaves to the wok and stir to combine, approximately 2 minutes.
Great on its own or serve with brown rice.
Tricia Wingard, Tricia on Track